Phage Preparation Effective Against Shigella spp.
ShigaShield™ is an all-natural, non-chemical antimicrobial preparation for controlling the foodborne/waterborne bacterial pathogen Shigella. The active ingredients of ShigaShield™ are naturally occurring lytic bacteriophages that selectively and specifically kill Shigella, including strains belonging to the three major disease-causing species S. flexneri, S. sonnei and S. dysenteriae.
ShigaShield™ is specifically designed for treating foods that are at high risk for Shigella contamination including ready-to-eat meat and poultry, fish (including smoked fish), shellfish, fresh and processed fruits and vegetables, and dairy products including cheese. ShigaShield™ is the choice for eliminating or significantly reducing contamination of food with Shigella because it:
- Is GRAS for direct application onto cooked beef, cooked chicken, smoked salmon, honeydew melon, lettuce, and yogurt (GRN No. 000672)
- Requires no labeling ("clean label")
- Does not contain preservatives
- Is cost effective and cost competitive
- Is effective under a wide range of food storage conditions (e.g., 2°C-42°C)
- Is all natural and not genetically modified (non-GM)
- Does not alter food flavor, aroma, or nutritional value